We will be working on the main BlackFoot Studios website over the next couple of days so if it becomes unavailable for a while do not be alarmed.
A new site and some new news is on it’s way!
We are in need of someone to help create a few UI mockups using Flash, After Effects or something similar. Interactivity is not a must, though it would be nice. Signing an NDA is required.
As most know, we are self funded so while Pro level work is needed, it must be budget friendly for us.
If interested please send contact info and samples of previous work to email@example.com
We thought we would give everyone a heads up about whats going on lately and where things are headed.
Firstly, as most have heard, we are going to be doing a smaller scale Kickstarter. Details are being finalized so stay tuned for more info.
Next, we are currently redoing both our main BFS and GB web sites. They are getting a new coat of paint as well as overall design. In the mean time, the information about Ground Branch on GB.com is getting updated to be sure that it more accurately reflects the current design.
So keep an eye out for some upcoming announcements.
The BFS team would like to congratulate the team at Serellan on their release of Takedown: Red Sabre!
Its always an accomplishment to get a title to release, but more so when you do it on a small budget and against the odds. Take some time to pat yourselves on the back and enjoy!
We just added a video that got missed on the BFS YT channel about Weapon Customization. It was on Kris’s personal channel so most of you have probably seen it.
A bit old now, but still very cool!
Excuse the lack of updates, meow, but we’re busy and lack the time to do a proper vid/update due to reasons, none of which I will go into right meow.
Even if you have been living under a rock, you should meow that Takedown: Red Sabre is due to be released any day meow. Whether you supported the TD kickstarer or meow, it is great to see a new game in the tactical FPS genre make its way to release meow. There is a discussion on TD currently on meow forums here.
Anyways, as I said, busy, so I don’t have the time right meow to show off anything related to GB. Maybe next week, I can show you something meow.
A quick look at some of the new animation and bullet penetration work. Animations are continually being added and refined as well as the transitions between them. This will be an ongoing process until we have everything working perfectly. There is still A LOT of animation work to to, but things are getting there.
Bullet penetration gets some refinement and feature work as well. It still does not take the material into account, but that is coming very soon. The bulk of the work is dealing with the object type (bsp, staticmesh, skeletalmesh etc…) and thickness right now. For characters, player vests will certainly be factored into possible bullet penetration, but we are not exactly sure about pouches and other gear just yet.
Thanks for the continued support…..See you next time!
A not so quick in-game vid to what we have been up to. Both Kris and John give it a go this time around.
Kris talks a little about packaging the build up to something that isn’t developer related as well as some initial work on patches and bullet penetration code. It’s all rough developer stuff but should give you a taste of where things are going.
John gives a peek into how we are now using a Physically Based Rendering technique inside of Unreal Engine 3. This is very similar to what Unreal Engine 4 and the new Metal Gear Solid Fox Engine use. It’s just a quick intro and not an indepth examination of the technique, so we encourage you to do a little research if you are looking for some more information.
That’s it for now!
Quick in-game vid to demo the in-progress doors & animations.
Very happy with the progress with the doors. Aside from the usual opening/closing, they react to the player pushing into them and, more importantly (and cooly), your weapon.
Animation wise, we found out the hard way that our skeleton wasn’t setup to handle animation mirroring correctly. Seems my original tests relating to the swapping hands used skeletons with a different setup. Jeremy, awesome that he is, has already sorted it, but it was still a headache we didn’t need.
You can see some of Jeremy’s efforts in the video above and we hope to show more of it soon.
On the networking side of things, we’re buggy, but stable. In a game over the weekend, John and I mucked around on a dedicated server for more then an hour, no worries. Another step towards a playable build 🙂